Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Aprl 20 - On the Patio

It has been difficult trying to start my blog. Where to begin ?
So having had enough wine, I feel empowered to just write about my day.
Apologies if it is boring, but it is the day of a wine student .....

First I started looking at Cover Cropping for Vineyards. This is for a friend who has a small backyard
vineyard with great soil and 200 vines. How to control vigor ? The vines are close spaced and may not be able to handle the fertility of the soil. Cover crops may be the answer. A perennial grass that will take up some of the water and some of the nitrogen and leave the vine wanting for just a little more. Stressed. Hopefully that may be an answer. We will have to experiment to be able to tell. Find what works for that vineyard.

Then, I spent a couple of hours writing up topics on Fortified Wines. I am taking the WSET Unit 6 exam in a little over 6 weeks ( July 6 ). There are around 113 important topics, around 27 "less important" topics and another 27 "beyond the syllabus" topics that they expect us to understand and be able to write a few intelligent paragraphs about for the test. The text is Jancis Rovbinson's wonderful "Oxford Companion to Wine" a (small print) encyclopedia of around 800 pages and thousands of topics. Fortunately the realm of Fortified Wines is relatively small, and fortunately it is also quite interesting. I am writing each topic from Jancis, in my own voice and in a more consolidated document to make it easier to study without thumbing through the book. ( as me nice and I will send you a copy )

Tonight i tried my tasting exam. Dismal failure, but I still have hope. I poured the following wines.
1) An amontillado sherry. 2) A 1986 Colheita Port. 3) A Sweet Sherry 4) A 20 year old Tawny Port and 5) Harvey's Bristol Cream Sherry. However a failure that includes sitting in the patio on a comfortable spring evening watching the sun go down on Mt. Diablo and drinking really nice Ports and Sherries is not one to kill yourself over. I will recover.

I sat on the patio, closed my eyes and was fortunate enough to have Susan hand me glasses in various orders, sometimes repeating a glass, some times introducing a new one. I knew what wines were in the tasting but had to guess the order i which she was serving them. This was really not an easy task, as those who are honest will tell you.

My goal was to tell the 5 wines apart without looking at them. By taste alone. ( Looking wouldn't have helped much because they are all a similar shade of amber / reddish brown although of different intensities. ). I would have thought that it would be easy to tell a Sherry from a Port, but in reality it takes work. I could identify the amontillado because it has the flor sherry character. And I could identify the Harvey's because I knew it was there and it is so dark, rich, almost molasses tasting.

However recognizing and locking in the flavors / aromas of the Cream sherry, the Colheita Port and the 20 y/o tawny are harder. I was finally able to distinguish between the slightly higher alcohol ( 20% abv for the Ports instead of 17% for the Sherry ) as being the distinguishing factor. i just hope I can remember all of this tomorrow, because it took a number of tastes (swallow not spit ... I am at home, these are slightly expensive wines, and I am not driving anywhere soon ).

So, anyhow, I have more work to do and fortunately it is an enjoyable task even when you are devastatingly wrong.

I'll et you know how tomorrow turns out.

john

1 comment:

  1. HGG is offering unique Wooden BBQ Shelter that is an ideal product to protect you from all weather conditions. This shelter includes wide shelves to provide you with an extra space for your BBQ party. Moreover, our Wooden Planters And Troughs are elegant and stylish to give your garden an impressive look.
    Wooden BBQ Shelters
    Wooden Planters and Troughs

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments, corrections or feedback.